Saturday, June 30, 2012

DIY Banquette

Our dining area is a challenge. The space is very awkward and doesn't really fit our table and chairs, so to utilize the space better Chris and I wanted a banquette along the back wall for additional seating. We have an IKEA Lack shelving unit (now sadly discontinued but similar here) which was being poorly used in our bedroom closet, so I pulled it out, turned it horizontally and built it up to make it a banquette.

With my Dad's help, the bench was raised up a few inches on five, 2 x 4s cut the width of the unit and topped with plywood. I purchased some 1.5" high density foam, custom cut at my local Foam Shop, to top the plywood, wrapped it in batting and finally covered the plywood with a stunning ikat fabric from Chintz.



Love my stapler.

Almost done.
Ta da!

The result is quite fabulous (if I do say so myself) and the whole project took only a few hours of work. We're still finalizing our pillow choices - Chris actually suggested that we need LOTS of pillows - but this is the fun part.

Check out these other gorgeous benches made with IKEA's Lack.

{martha stewart}

{daffodil design}




No comments:

Post a Comment