Monday, March 10, 2014

My Monica Closet

Remember that episode of Friends where Chandler breaks into Monica's secret closet to discover the the reason it's locked is because it is jammed with crap, muddying Monica's obsessively neat sensibilities? I'm sad to admit I'm having a similar problem.

I am a clean freak and hate clutter, so the fact that we have a 3.5' x 5.5' storage closet is a huge bonus. We use this space as our pantry and though it currently holds dry goods and serving trays like a pantry should, it is also a dumping ground due to lack of function. With a full size, inward swinging door, nearly half of the space is unusable and I have taken to stashing anything and everything behind the door just so I don't have to look at it. It's not great.

As I'm sure you can guess, my own 'Monica' closet is on my list of projects to tackle before baby. I want to switch out the ridiculous full-size door for a simple bifold or sliding barn door and add more shelving and lighting to revamp the space. Once our pantry is truly functional, perhaps even pretty (well organized canned goods can be a beautiful thing), then maybe I won't be shoving stacks of un-sorted papers, odd craft supplies and and assorted baby gear and tightly closing the door.



No comments:

Post a Comment